Women's Leadership Program Travels

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I have never considered myself an expert packer by any means.

But it seems the complexities of a modern Arab nation, a traditional yet contemporary booming global metropolis have fallen out of the editorial pages of the New Republic and into my suitcase.

How does one know what to wear? Trite though this phraseology may be. The challenge of dressing modern yet conservative, appropriate yet young, as myself and yet culturally respectful have lead me to bring an extra duffel.

As I imagine myself walking through the university campus, something I have done countless times, daily in fact for the past several years, my mind goes blank. I don't know what to picture. The American and European college models fight for space in my brain while all I am left with is an image including the back of the heads of my traveling companions.

I think no matter how carefully considered my packing, and how well I can observe and pay head to culturally traditions and idiosyncrasies I am still going to wear the look of high school senior. Slightly giddy, eyes virtual sponges, and a smile that tries not to betray how exciting and awe inspiring this new discovery is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

I'm excitedly and vicariously looking forward to news of the Women's Leadership Program conference and travel experiences. Looking forward to sharing them with our female "compatriots" at home...
kons

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home